Heat Loss Prevention (HeLP) Kit
- Instructions for Use
Built to Order
The CTOMS™ HeLP™ (Heat Loss Prevention) Kit provides equipment to aid the prevention of heat loss from casualties in a field environment. The kit is comprised of the CTOMS LifeHeat™, a vapor barrier and heat reflective blanket system, and the Ready-Heat™ II Torso Blanket. Additionally, absorbent pads, for drying the casualty, and an insulated underpad are included. The CTOMS LifeHeat™ systems are available in two colors: white for "Civilian" kits, and Green for "Military" kits.
For instruction on the identification and treatment of hypothermia, including the use of a CTOMS HeLP kit™, see the Foundations of Hypothermia Management course here.
Suggested instructions for use:
- Open the HeLP™ Kit package.
- Open Ready-Heat™ Torso Blanket first to initiate the warming process by exposure to oxygen. The blanket may take up to 20 minutes to reach maximum temperature.
- Open the CTOMS LifeHeat™ Reflector Blanket Pro BOTTOM SHEET and lay it blue side up on a litter (not included) or the ground.
- Unfold the Foam Pad and lay it out on the CTOMS LifeHeat™ Reflector Blanket Pro BOTTOM SHEET as an insulating layer.
- Unfold ONE of the Absorbent Underpads and place it on top of the Foam Pad for absorption of any fluids from the casualty.
- Place casualty on top of layered pads/CTOMS LifeHeat™ Reflector Blanket Pro BOTTOM SHEET.
- Place the Ready-Heat™ Torso Blanket on the torso of the casualty.
It is important to not place any equipment on the blanket as this may cause a hot spot and create a burn.
If the blanket becomes wet, such as from water, blood, urine, etc., it may fail to produce heat.
- Cinch the draw cords on all four corners around the casualty. Stow the excess draw cord inside the blanket to prevent snag points.
- Open and place the CTOMS LifeHeat™ Reflector Blanket Pro TOP SHEET over the casualty (blue side down) with placement below the chin as per instruction label affixed to the TOP SHEET.
- Tuck in the lower flaps of the TOP SHEET between the casualty and the BOTTOM SHEET.
- Secure upper flap of TOP SHEET to the BOTTOM SHEET with the attached Velcro. Tuck excess TOP SHEET beneath casualty.
- Ensure that all components, including the blankets are secured down if the casualty is on helicopter landing zone.